For centuries, ceramics have been working for the city of Ariano, the main resource beyond agriculture. The majolica is a ceramic product with a mixture of opaque porous clay, with a coating of varnish or hot soled enamel, transparent in the finer types. This “great and noble activity” is documented to Ariano at least from the late Middle Ages, as underlined by the historian G. Donatone *, who published a letter dated December 2, 1301, with which King Charles II of Anjou approved the duties which taxed both the cretai and the merchants of Ceramic products. In their laboratories located in caves dug in the Tufaceous bank, the Arianesi, after having prepared the clay for the crushing, carrying out the process of washing and settling the Feldpati, modelled the lathe and realized various artifacts of use Domestic and ornamental. These artifacts were embellished with the decoration that used the Arianese palette of orange yellow, From the green Ramina, the brown manganese and the cobalt blue.
The Orneta Farm has intended to give form and content to the intent of valorisation of the historical artistic and cultural patrimony of the territory on which it insists, commissioning the Majolica-based pottery workshop of the Maiolicart-Ariano, which are reproduced On the labels of the products of its first year of production.
* Donatone G., popular Maiolica Campana, Naples, 1976; Donatone G., the Majolica by Ariano Irpino, Naples, 1980